View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
rotorwrench

Default Re: Magneto question

I can't tell what the body style is but I've seen much worse. Even without a title, it is likely worth more than $4K. The model T is a lot easier to restore than most other cars out there and this alone gives it value. If you look at model T asking prices on Classic Autotrader and Hemmings, they are getting up there with model A cars. The open cars are still popular whether it's a Touring or Runabout type model. The wood body Coupes and Sedans are more expensive to restore but still have a decent value.

I don't know which state you are in but some states are easier than others to get titles. If you are taking it in as payment for services, that is an advantage for court rulings as long as the vehicle has no history of theft. It sounds like it has characteristics of a 1917 (prewar WWI car) so that would be a good judge of year of manufacture even if it has some earlier characteristics. 1916 was the last year for the brass model Ts. Ford changed out of the brass era due to it being considered outdated. Cars with no electrics could still use a battery for starting but they may have used a 6-volt lantern battery back in the day. Ford didn't supply a battery with the cars but there was a place to connect one if the customer wanted it. A lot of folks use a 12-volt motorcycle battery to start. Headlamp bulbs for the magneto system are a 24-volt design since anything less will likely burn right out. I think the T13007M bulb is still a common one.

No compression could be stuck valves or rings. It may take some time to bring it back from the dead so it would pay to check the engine over well and use Marvel Mystery oil to loosen stuck rings and valves.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote