View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Prices going through the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I completely agree Brent, materials are crazy. esp paint...........

regarding tires- I did mention buying a set of 4 from Universal (aka Coker) for a total of 369. For a guy that never drives his cars, thats fine. Now adding up the total of 4 radials, well thats a diff story and understood, if you really use your cars.

There is Maaco, not so cheap anymore and then there are custom paint shops. The 2nd will require a 2nd mortgage on your house! no kidding.

I still think you can get a decent A under 20k. No it wont be an award winner, etc. but still a decent car. Rarely do As fetch 30s- on up for a basic model. Rarer models, sure.
Even many of them have come down, amid our inflation.
I guess the real question is what is the definition of 'decent'??

In my mind, the term 'decent' as it applies to a Model-A is a vehicle that does not need any type of mechanical repairs to be able to Start, Stop, and Steer reliably. A decent Model-A is one that the driver nor the occupants need to worry whether they will get to their destination without delays nor worries. After all, Model-As were 'decent' cars when they were new or slightly used, so that expectation should apply today.

As for prices falling, I think that factors when a Buyer looks at an older restoration and determine it has not been well maintained and now is going to require larger sums of money to bring the vehicle back to a 'decent' condition. For example, a 'restored' Model-A that sold for $30k around 5+ years ago that now needs a complete set of tires & tubes, a new battery, the gas tank restored, along with a full maintenance on chassis mechanicals will see that repair bill in excess of $10k if professionally performed. This scenario happens all too often as buyers seek a collector car purchase.

So yes, that vehicle that sold for $30k is now being sold in the lower $20k range ...however is the value of the vehicles dropping, -or is the condition of the vehicles dropping??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote