View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Bill OH

Default Re: Chapter 2. Missing at part throttle.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Some ideas!! First, do you have room behind the 3rd carb to install a mechanical fuel pump and use the electric for priming? I have that arrangement - mech pump primed by electric.
I would back the vacuum brake full out. I had a 221 - 1938 that the vacuum brake was tightened down and max speed was 74 mph. I backed the brake off and the speed went to 84 mph under the same conditions. At one point I saw 92 mph, but I could always count on 86 - 88 mph.

Let’s give some attention to the center carb - pull it off, open it up and give it alternate doses of Gumout and compressed air in each of the passages (idle, accelerator pump discharge and main circuit) and examine the condition of the accelerator pump piston and the two check valves. You may want to put a new kit in the carb - your call. I have a MOTORS MANUAL and the float setting for your year Stromberg is 15/32 and I do not think 1/32 is going to make that much of a difference, your float level now being 16/32.

With the engine warm, you might try opening the idle mixture screws to the rich side of a smooth idle - a judgement call. A quarter of a turn out just might solve your problem.

Do you have a timing mark establishing TDC by the dead stop method? If so I would set the timing 4 degs advance - motor will be more responsive.

The spiral ignition wires - you have two of them gone South. I have mentioned in the past the value of using Packard 440 with ends stripped back about 1/2 inch and folded over to make good contact with the terminals, now that you are using points and condenser.

Is the heat riser blocked with cupped core plugs - mine is.

While I think your problem is fuel, the other matters I have mentioned will make a tiger out of a kitty cat. I am open to further discussion.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote