View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
pcpat

Default Re: Hard turning with new pistons

- Bob, as for the machinist having the pistons, yes he measured them and said it was right on.
- Paul, as for Assembly Lube, yes I used it through out the installation on everything.
- For the crank bearing, when i set them to .002, i couldn't even get the crank to turn, that's when I added more shims till it turned free and measured to find it was between .0025 and .003. Once I had the crank set i didn't go back to the crank after setting the pistons (Is this something I should have done?).
- I initially set the piston caps to .0015 per Les Andrews book, I didn't think to look at the manufactures specs, but found it was binding (couldn't turn), .002 was even a bit too tight and could barley move it a little so I went with a few more shims. I'm not sure the final measurement on each, since I was going in the smallest increments that I could peel the shims off in (I believe they were .0003) if I measured them correctly. I did each cylinder this way pushing each out of the way so I could feel the drag of each piston. Once connect back up and torqued all to 35lbs, It is extremely hard to crank by hand.
- is there anything else I should consider? I want this to run up properly and not cause any issues when I start it.
pcpat is offline   Reply With Quote