View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #44
DNLs1930

Default Re: 600w leaking out of steering box

Ok everyone I hate to keep asking questions but it seems every time I touch this car another one or three questions come up...

Just so you know: YES I tried the search function and YES I read my Les Andrews book and found nothing to answer the question.

My question is about the 2 tooth steering box and what should be inside it and how it goes together with the after market tube steering end plate.

With the "oil tube" end plate Bratton's says to not use the "oil seal retainer" which I can understand because the tube is now the oil retainer but what about the cork seal that was installed? Do I "seal" the horn shaft (which would be inside the tube) with the new cork seal or do I leave it out because the "Tube takes care oil leaks?

I plan to dry fit the parts tomorrow by omitting the "oil seal retainer" as noted but install the cork "seal" then the tube end plate with gasket. My thought is the seal will be tight around the horn shaft and the tube will be "capped off" by the cork seal as the bolts are tightened.

The reason I ask is the cork oil seal is not discussed at least not in any of the reference materials I have read.

I have the thicker "00 oil" to fill up the steering box with and will put a bit of RTV on the gasket surfaces. Hope this works!!!

As always THANKS for all the knowledge and willingness to share!!
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote