View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Original Headlight socket & connector hardware

Hi Eystein,

On 02-18-2013 - 10:53 p.m. wrote an article herein entitled:

Sockets for Original Headlights

Extremely poor quality of "NEW REPRO" headlight sockets stories appeared to be a type of Forum Religion that if one bought them, their headlights would never function correctly -- true salvation to "see the light" came only through obtaining "Originals" on E-bay, swap meets, etc. -- then, after several years of this preaching, "Originals" were close to impossible to find.

My original sockets were too far gone because of former makeshift repairs with solder, & new wire wrapped with cloth tape.

The old religion was most accurate when repro parts a few years ago were pure junk; however, I called Mr. Walt Bratton who replied that in the past 6-7 years he had no complaints with the "NEW REPRO" sockets he currently offered -- he said if they were not good, customers would have called him to complain or would have returned them -- he said if I was not content with them, just return them for a refund.

Trusted his honest reply -- bought some from him & first tested durability by shaking them vigorously with bulbs inserted while connected to a 6-V lamp battery -- could not make them fail no matter how hard I shook them.

Soldered a ground wire on each to route back through the light conduits to a ground on the radiator.

After installing, absolutely no problems with his "NEW REPRO" headlight sockets.

Have no idea if other vendors offer these same "NEW REPRO" headlight sockets.

Just hope this helps someone who may be interested in trying to find replacement Model A headlight sockets.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote