View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
david801

Default Re: Original Headlight socket & connector hardware

d.j.; my configuration has the three wires in the socket and is a repo all the way from the harness to the bulb. So its not very similar to what you have.

rscardina, That diagram is helpful. The main point I missed was that the combined langth of the black plastic socket with the bullet or brass terminal installed is 11/16 or .680". I cut off the bullet ends and soldered on the brass terminal ends. They look like they will make a better contact than the bullet style. I was trying to make the terminal end flush with the end of the black plastic socket. After reading everyones advice, I got the socket done. I ground down the diameter of the contacts inside of the main socket and the center bulb socket. Then I cut some heat shrink tubing about 1/4" long and put it around each of the springs behind the contact and heated it up with a pencil style soldering iron. Hopefully this will keep it from shorting. I just got it all assembled and and the lights work fine. It will be interesting to see how it holds up after a few years.
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote