Thread: Air filter fire
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Air filter fire

Just posted this on the B carburetor question.

If one wants to filter air in what appears to be a much safer installation, setting the air filter "above" the carburetor where it cannot get soaked with dripping fuel makes sense.

Had one Model A cracked gas line at carburetor fire 54 years ago -- not fun -- smotherd the flames with thick green clover found on the side of the road -- luckily it was spring time with green grass & not winter with dead grass.

Carrying part of a wool blanket to use as a fire blanket under under one's Model A seat is not a bad idea.

Some posted earlier that this item does not fit well -- never beleive "all" that I read or hear -- tried it -- followed directions to tighten connections -- worked fine -- maybe not even required, but later ordered & an even larger,(taller) K & N filter for more air flow & also for not having to clean filter as often.

Go on ebay & contact this nice gentleman in the ebay Questions Section -- he can send, (& I already bought), adapters for both B carburetors & "all" types of A carburetors:

At one time or another, all Model A carburetors will drip fuel if the choke is used -- saving one life or one Model A is important in my opinion..

His ad below describes his filtering system -- pictures on ebay.

The "Original Hi-Boy" Air Filter System for your Model "A" Ford
Discounted Shipping and Handling
The Hi-Boy air filter system for the Model "A" Ford features a high-flow filter element that provides 65% more air flow than the standard or slightly modified Model "A" engine requires. The filter element is held above the carburetor where gas can not wick into the element as can happen with filter systems that hang below the carburetor. The metal snorkel is designed allow filtered air to flow smoothly into the carburetor with a minimum of obstruction. The Hi-Boy can be attached to Zenith, Tillotson, Marvel carburetors and may fit on other aftermarket carburetors without the need to make alterations to Henry's stock automobile. The filter element is washable and rechargeable for years of continued service and stays cleaner longer positioned above the road dirt. A quality addition to your Model "A" Ford that will improve engine life and add value to your driving experience.

Makes a great gift for the your Model A enthusiast
who has everything.

If you are running a "B" carburetor on your Model "A" let me know...I can provide a larger diameter connector hose to accommodate the larger throat at no additional charge. This unit is not for a Right Hand Drive Model "A", but I have one available. Contact me at for more information.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-07-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote