View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default Parts prices are killing our hobby

There has been much speculation about what are old, restored Fords are going to be worth (or not) in the coming years. I'm talking about the T's, A's and early v-8's. I'm in the camp of not much, actually, yet I continue to hang on to a pretty fair collection of 34 through 38 coupes and cabriolets. I'm probably real stupid for doing so - if preserving wealth is the end goal. We old farts love our vintage and all-original Fords and catch ourselves wondering why anyone would dream of butchering a firewall or taint our flattie-powered cars with the swap of a SBC beneath the hood. Yet, I often think we are our worst enemies for asking (and getting) absurd prices for the parts we collectively flog. Supply and demand can be a wonderful thing if you're a seller! As I do every morning, actually several times every day if the truth were to be known, I just checked-out all aspects of Fordbarn. Forum first then swap meet - just in case! Today, I see a real decent original 34 speedometer for $375. An original, but rechromed 34 windshield frame for $1600, a pair of flathead intakes for $225 each and a box of 10 spark plugs for $115. Don't get me wrong -this isn't a complaint - just an observation. I've sold my own excess parts for amazing prices, too. And we wonder out loud, or in print, why a restoration costs $50,000 or $75,000 or $100,000? And dare question why the car has a market value of $40,000 - and no one young is interested in it! I recently bought my first "new old car" a 1966 Mustang convertible. In the few months that I have had it I have been shocked at how comparatively inexpensive replacement parts are for this vintage. Just yesterday I bought a brand new convertible top for a mere $175. As I head out to the garage to work on a 1934 3 Window coupe, I'm going to be repeatedly asking myself - how stupid am I?
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote