View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
JayJay

Default Re: Water pump shaft removal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by izze View Post
Thanks for the advice. Truly appreciated!

I went out this morning to look at the shaft with fresh eyes. There is a lot of buildup under the packing nut. The front of the shaft near the pully is nice and clean. I will do my best to clean the shaft under the packing nut, and report back with the results.

Any advice on the best way to remove the thrust collar without a press? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in my workbench just big enough for the collar. Then hammering it out with a socket extension. Not sure if that is a horrible idea.
Hammering is not usually a good idea on cast parts. Keep in mind that you'll also need to press the new rear bushing into the housing when you reassemble. This might be a good job to take to a local auto machine shop to have done. If you are in a local Model A club (which is a good idea for anyone with a Model A) then there should be a member with a small press that could do it for you. It doesn't need to be a hydraulic press, an arbor press would work well if you can get the clearance you need. You could use this as your excuse to get a press... very handy tool to have.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote