View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
JayJay

Default Re: Water pump shaft removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by izze View Post
Yep, key is removed. And the packing nut is loosened. The shaft is pretty grimy. I'll try cleaning it up. Good idea.

The front packing can only move forward, correct? I'm wondering if I should try to push the sleeve, washer and cup forward somehow?

izze - I just went thought his less than a month ago rebuilding a leaking water pump.

Once you loosen the packing nut the shaft is free to slide forwards and backwards. But the fit is tight. Often on older shafts crud builds up at the front of the shaft (below the pulley) and on the shaft where it enters the rear bushing (underneath the packing nut). That crud will keep the shaft from sliding rearwards. Take some acetone or BrakeClean and thoroughly clean the shaft. If you have some built up corrosion take some fine sandpaper and clean up the shaft, then clean it again with solvent. It WILL slide backwards and out once you get it clean enough.

You should not try to remove the front packing with the shaft in place. The fit of the metal retaining cups is very close to the shaft, and you may damage the shaft in trying to get it out. Rather, get the shaft out, then use a long punch to go through the rear cup (of the front bearing) to tap the front cup out, then remove the front packing, washer, bearing, rear washer and rear packing. Rear cup of the front bearing will then tap out to the front. With that larger opening you can get a larger drift in from the front to press out the rear bushing.

A thought - some water pumps have a keeper collar on the shaft between the front of the front bearing and the pulley, this is to adjust forward play. If you have one of those then it needs to be removed to get the shaft out. Kind of obvious when you see it, though.

If your shaft is that badly crudded up then your impeller is likely corroded also. Suggest you consider a new stainless shaft and impeller assembly.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote