View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Uncle Bob

Default Re: 1932 Ford 5W United Pacific Quality

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Often the answer to this kind of question is "...what does right mean?". Each person has their own definition based on their experience and goals.

I've seen a couple of the US assembled ones in person, and a good friend bought another. In all three cases the bodies lined up very nicely and looked/felt pretty straight. They do have some seams in different places (probably for ease of tooling design) from original that need to be dealt with. The examples I'm familiar with were upwards of a couple years ago, so may be different from a current product. As Gary suggested, it would be best to inspect in person first. I'll say this as a comparative, and not intended as a slam to Brookville, just a comparison on realities; the UP body had better fit and finish than either of the Brookville roadster bodies (a 32 & a 29) that I've had.

In reality, an original, 80+ year old body is going to need work to make "right" also, so pick your poison. Depending on what the local prevailing labor rate is, $5k is "only" around 60 hours work. If your objective is a laser straight black car then 60 hours is effectively nothing for labor time. If you're going to just splash it with primer and drive it for the joy of it then 60 hours is probably fat, but not by a whole lot. There's a lot more to it, but that hits some of the high points.