View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #33
HarveyH

Default Re: I'm considering powering a homebuilt airplane with a Ford V-8 Flathead

ThomasN,

Thanks for your input. The one plane that Mr Pietenpol built with a V8 was built specifically with the extra weight of the V8 engine in mind. Even the wing chord was increased from 5ft to 6ft to provide increased lift. It would be logical to assume that the landing gear and its fuselage attachment points were beefed up as well.

By the way, the FAA doesn't approve or disapprove homebuilt designs. It is up to each builder to determine that his or her aircraft is flyable upon completion. In addition, the "inspections" are to ensure compliance with approved aircraft construction techniques (i.e. using bolts to mount an engine instead of duct tape) and to make sure that the aircraft continues to be in an airworthy condition (i.e. the wood spars aren't starting to rot). Otherwise, the FAA doesn't determine whether a particular homebuilt design is a good or bad one. The FAA leaves that decision up to the person who intends to fly it. (The person who's betting his life on the design.) However, aviation insurance companies also have a major say in what flies and what doesn't (i.e. what they're willing to insure, and what they won't).

Before somebody posts that the FAA should be more responsible in ensuring that all homebuilt designs are safe, notice that the current policy is similar to how your hot rods are "approved" or "disapproved" for operation on public streets. The DMV doesn't determine whether your car is drivable or not. All it cares about is whether it will fit in amongst the other traffic (i.e. doesn't have its headlights 18ft above ground), incorporates some mandatory safety standards (seat belts, safety glass, etc) and that you used sound construction techniques (again, no duct tape). And much like aviation, the ultimate decision on whether your hot rod ever leaves your driveway may rest on your ability to get insurance for it.

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 09-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote