View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
ford38v8

Default Re: I'm considering powering a homebuilt airplane with a Ford V-8 Flathead

Harvey, I would think that to be a worthy project for discussion on this forum! By the way, I voted crazy and might just work! It took both my selections.

The picture here is of an engine recently posted here. It has a gear reduction on its bell, but if your prop has its limits, I'd think a governor would be needed to prevent over-reving the prop. The engine shown is peculiar, not having exhaust manifolds, and hard to see the water oulet on the head, but it is clear that this is a very early V8, having 21 studs and the bumps on the pan rail.

The first V8 was advertised at 65 horsepower, but it wasn't widely known that the model B engine had slightly highter horsepower than the V8. The 1934 V8 jumped up the horses to an advertised 85, which was better than the B engine. Later V8s ranged up to an advertised 125 horsepower, but wouldn't be correct for your application unless you don't mind that these engines weren't available in the early thirties.

Id think that a truck engine would be preferable, or an industrial engine. A truck engine would have a cam to deliver low end torque and high revving, and an industrial engine would deliver optimum power at a constant RPM.

Good luck in your endeavor, and please keep us posted, especially with pictures! (hint-hint)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (19.7 KB, 316 views)