View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
HarveyH

Default I'm considering powering a homebuilt airplane with a Ford V-8 Flathead

Hi Guys,

I know that the Ford Barn is focused primarily on stock restorations but my questions pertain to stock engines, with a slight departure in the chassis that I want to mount one in. Before y'all tell me that there are other websites devoted to homebuilt airplanes, please know that I've tried them all with the only responses being blank stares. Jim Brierley suggested that I go right to the den of Flathead Ford V-8 experts so here I am.

The airplane is a Pietenpol, which as you probably already know, was designed in the early 1930s to use a converted Model A 4-banger. The plane was and is successful and about 50 are currently flying with that engine. However, when Ford introduced its little V-8, Bernard Pietenpol immediately tried one in one of his planes. (This was about 1934.) Bernie was disappointed in the experiment and gave up on the idea. He considered the engine two heavy for what little extra horsepower it developed.

So now, I figure that after nearly 80 years of gearheads doing everything imaginable with Henry's flathead 8, the time is right to try it again. But there are a few things that I need to know before getting too deep in this: Just what are the weight comparisons between the early V-8s and the Model A engine? Also, I need to know the diameter of the crank journals so I can determine if the crank is capable of swinging a prop without breaking. (As a point of reference, the stock Model A engine will swing a 73" prop at 22-2600 RPMs which is a good speed for a prop. Anything over 3000 is too fast for a prop. Also, the heavier Model B crank is better for swinging a prop than the Model A engine.)

Your opinions, suggestions, and ideas are solicited. (I hope I don't end up regretting saying that! )

Can you imagine the sight and sound of a V-8 flattie-powered airplane?

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 09-22-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Corrected som speeling erors
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote