View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #41
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Tail Drager,

I am confused. The following are your words:

Got the crank and pistons in tonight, what an ordeal, The Clevite CB-745P STD bearings DO NOT sit flush with the surface of the saddle or caps. There's an interference fit when trying to set the bearing caps on the crank. I absolutely could not rotate the crank by hand the first time I installed only bearing caps 1 and 5 just hand tight. I realized right away there was an issue and got on the phone. I was able to get some official numbers to check and ask some questions. After getting off the phone, I checked the journal DIA and bore, both were within spec, must be the bearings.

For clarification. I did torque 1 & 5 to 55 ft-lbs before removing to file. The crank was locked up and could not be turned by hand. Please advise what the expectation should be when correctly installing all bearings with torque. How much force should be required to rotate the crank?

Were bearings 1 and 5 hand tightened or tightened to 55 lb-ft?

The "Builders Guide" that comes with the cylinder block is not complete and not up to date. Go to www.modelaengine.com and under "Guides", you will find the latest "Builders Guide", "Doubling the Flow Area of a Model A Oil Pump", and "Installing an Oil Filter".

Please take all of your parts to an engine builder along with the latest "Builders Guide". It will save you a lot of money and heartache.

Terry Burtz
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote