View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 05:42 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cotter Key Plastic Box Information Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
Are the shapes/finishes of the cotter pins originally used in the Model A the same as the ones commercially available today? Are the profiles of the wires used to form the pins the same, and are the shapes of the loops the same, and are the ends clipped off the same way?
I guess what I'm really asking is: are the modern ones correct for Fine Point Judging?
And are any different (perhaps more 'correct') designs currently available? And if not, what's the option?
Thanks
JB
The short answer to your question is No. The shape and the finish that is required to not receive any deduction is typically incorrect with what you find commercially available today. Doc Kalinka wrote an article several years ago (-many years ago actually) that covered this. To be correct in F/P, you either must find old pin stock, -or modify new ones and have Cad plated.

I am getting to this party kinda late, but I made a PDF copy of my spreadsheet that we use to label the inside of the containers when we make in-house kits. I also included a sheet that has hyperlinks to what cotters we use. I know this is a larger quantity than most will ever use, but maybe you can order some and make multiple kits to share with your friends??

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model-A Cotters.pdf (103.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf Model-A Cotter Order.pdf (98.4 KB, 48 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote