View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Model A Oil Pan Installation Questions

I do same as Tom. Prefer to use an anaerobic gasket sealer on the block side as my mechanic for my other vehicles suggested to me (skim coat gasket with my finger) - allows you time to reposition gasket if the gasket moves, and then grease on the pan side. Used very small amount non-permanent Loctite on pan bolts since they can loosen over time.

Did have very small drippage leak once, simply dropped pan, re-greased gasket and put pan back on. As Tom mentions, makes pan removable without having to replace the gasket every time you drop the pan. Additionally it is not a struggle to break the pan loose when both sides of the gasket is coated with something that is semi-permanent.

As the instructions mention, put down a piece of plastic,. I prefer to drop the pan, then let it sit overnight or a couple of days before continuing. Let the motor drip drain before getting under the motor.

Careful not to over tighten the pan bolts, especially if using cork gaskets. 1st time I saw a spec somewhere, spec did not mention it was for a paper gasket, and really over torqued - damaged the gasket, warped the pan, cause leaks. The spec in previous procedure should be good.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote