View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Zephyr overdrive into 1940 Ford?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
42 merc asks:
What is the real world cost of the T5, Jeep, torque tube conversion, COMPLETE ?

I'll X2 what 42 Merc asked: Can you buy this conversion complete, ready to rock and roll?

Tim and 42 Merc….. Sorry, I've just now seen your requests from yesterday evening. I went back to take a look at the original "T5 W/Torque Tube" thread that I posted three and a half years ago now. Man, how time flies! Anyway, I see that you both originally checked-in to read that thread back when. In view of your current questions, and they are legitimate questions, it would likely serve good purpose to go back and reacquaint yourselves with some of the details and methods of the original article. Just below this sentence is a link to that ancient thread that you can click on, or you can merely click on the "T5 W/TORQUE TUBE " at the bottom, left of ANY of my posts here on the 'Barn and that T5 thread comes up in it's entirety.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...T5+TORQUE+TUBE

What should be remembered in OUR case is the fact that Heard fabricated many of the parts/pieces needed to either adapt the torque tube to trans, mount the trans, fabrication of a pocket to re-mount the front wishbone onto his fabricated rear trans mount plate, as well as rebuilding and assembling the "new", shorty T5 assembly himself. T5s are easy to assemble. Virtually all parts of the transmission were purchased USED except for the fresh rebuild parts package like bearings, synchronizers and gaskets. The short Jeep main shaft and tail housing were found on eBay. The main case and Camaro 2.95 gear set came as a result of a Craigs List Camaro T5 trans purchase in a nearby Florida community. These '83-'87 Camaro T5s are still found at swap meets on a regular basis. The Camaro transmissions are relatively easy to spot as they have the common Chevy Muncie-type bolt pattern on the front AND they have the 26-splined input shaft, whereas the other wimpy Chevy T5s (with crummy gear ratios) have a 14-spline input shaft. Individual gears (if a bad one needs replacing, for instance) are readily available at specialty shops all over the internet, and all over eBay, also.

The most expensive items were the custom made 23-spline trans to U-joint adapter which was fabricated by Kato King on the HAMB, who also goes by "Cranium" here on the 'Barn. Seems like those couple of torque tube adapter pieces he supplied were about $450 or so from memory. I believe that also included the little 23-spline, 25-tooth O/D gear. Pictures of those and other adapter pieces are seen in our T5 thread. The T5 to flathead adapter is available in several different iterations from three or four different sources. Depending on whose adapter you opt for, they seem to range from about $269-ish to around $600 or so, and a couple of others I've seen for stupid money. About all that's left of any expense is the torque tube/drive shaft shortening. Heard may chime-in here and we can find out for sure, but it seems like he found an old, established drive shaft shop with an old guy that knew the ropes, and I want to say that cost him about two Benjamins ($200-ish). We have since determined that there is a good possibility that a V8 torque tube and drive shaft from '33 or '34 MIGHT fit perfectly without shortening. It's gonna take just a little more butt-scratchin' and figurin' on my part to fully ascertain that to be a factual statement.

As noted in the original thread, neither Heard or myself offer any parts or complete kits to complete this modification. This is hot rodding at it's best. Measure once, measure once again, cut it precisely, and glue it together.

We've been rather disappointed in the fact that despite a dozen or so folks have made inquiries and asked specific questions since then, we know of only one other completed shorty T5/Torque Tube build and that is in Cory Taulbert's little '32 coupe, the story and pictures of which I've included in OUR T5 thread on page 4, I believe. It's the maroon '32 coupe...big pictures! Last I read he had over 6,000 miles on that one, and as nice as Cory's cars are, he doesn't "baby" his stuff. More reason to re-read that old thread in it's entirety. I'm sorry that I can't break the costs down to the dollar, but so much is dependent on how resourceful you are, both at resourcing parts, and with your fabrication skills. I'd STILL be happy with sharing any info that I can, or even just a little suggestive advise if it helps. Let me know what ya think, guys! Dick D (DD)

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote