View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #115
TedG

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

Like Dan Baron I also built lots of models when I was younger. I always wanted a Street Rod, after being into motorcycles and building Choppers back in the 70's (long before it was acceptable) I got married, built a house and finally reached a point in life where I was ready to build a car. Origianlly looking for a '34 Tudor I went all over trying to find a suitable starting point with no luck. I stumbled on a '35 Chevy Sedan which at the time wasn't too desirable, it was basically a rusted body sitting on a hacked up frame but since the price was right and it came with a good title that's the one I settled on. The car in my avatar is the final result.

Fastforward 15yrs, a good friend approaches me and asks me if I'd be willing to assemble a '29 Sport Coupe he's thinking about buying. Turns out he always wanted a restored Model A and though he's owned a few none of them ever got finished, said he always liked the way my car turned out, I'd had the bug to build another car so I agreed.

The more I get into the research and how much engineering it seems to have taken to make the A simple the more it intrigues me. So here I am reading, learnig and feeling like I'm back in school again, thank God for the internet and Ford Barn, I can only imagine what it must have been like to do a restoration 30yrs ago.

I'll always like Street Rods but one day I may also have an A parked next to mine, I do wish they had more legroom though.