Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
James Rogers

Default Re: Oil gauge problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Randy,

Good question, & good answers.

One (1) experience: in about 1959:

I had installed an almost perfect B engine in my 1930 coupe whereby everything was going great for several thousand miles.

While driving one day, all of a sudden I heard an engine knock. Turned around, came home, dropped the oil pan only to find the cast iron on the oil pump broken mid-way up the shaft. At that time, it was devastating to loose the No. 1 connecting rod bearing on a recently purchased $25.00 Model A.

In my opinion, if one ever gets shot at with real bullets, one realizes it makes far more sense to carry a gun; & if one ever looses an engine with a broken oil pump, it makes far more sense to have an oil gauge to observe psi readings now & then.

I have an oil gauge -- and after over 50 years, nobody has to remind me to look at it now & then -- & I still jump when I hear loud thunder and/or loud fireworks at close range.
Very good info. Everybody that runs a gauge needs to understand, the A has no oil pressure except for flow pressure. If you understand this and know you just use that gauge to make sure the pump is working, it will work fine and I suggest getting one.

In my case, I run a down draft weber. I let the car sit for a couple of winters and drove it little in the summer. Last spring, I decided to drive it more but, noticed, the gauge wouldn't show pressure till I reved the engine quite high. I couldn't remember if I replaced the pump when I rebuilt it so, I decided to re-con the motor and freshen the paint and check the bearings along with the check the pump. I removed the engine and mounted it on a stand to dump the oil and get started. I pulled the plug and drained 2 1/2 gallons out. Over the 2 winters even with the valve shut, the carb had leaked about a gallon and a half into the cylinders and down into the pan. The oil was so diluted with gas it smelled like gas and would light on fire just like gas. If I had not had a gauge, I could have driven this motor till it literally BLEW UP. Get one, understand it's use and pay it attention only when it makes a drastic change.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote