View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
CarlG

Default Re: Modern tube shocks

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
These look nearly identical to the Ken Davis shock kit that I installed a few months back. I'm very happy with it, but would make one recommendation.

The original nuts that secure the bolts through the backing plates on my '30 Coupe have a built-in spacer to fit into a recess. The nuts that came with my kit didn't, and the new bolts are a different thread, so you can't reuse the old nuts. I made some small spacers to compensate. If this is the case with the kit you have, I would strongly recommend that you take the time to get longer bolts the same thread as the originals, drill a cotter pin hole through them, and reused the original nuts.

That being said, I'm very happy with my tubular shocks and would definitely do it again. If you just want the rears, I'm pretty sure that Ken will sell you a rear set only.
I have a Ken Davis kit on my Pickup. OK, Here's what I did to solve the bolt/nut situation on the rears. I bought the longer backing plate bolts from the vendors -- the same ones that are used to secure the radius rods -- and used them instead of the bolts supplied by Ken. That worked out perfectly!

BTW, I am very pleased with Ken's kit, have a little over 1,000 miles on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backing Plate Boltsl.jpg (52.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by CarlG; 07-05-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Add Picture
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote