View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #10
Don T

Default Re: Control arm seals fit issues

I agree with JH ford 51 on his analysis of the new seals he tried to install, unfortunately NOS seals were not available to me. I checked with the jobber I purchased from that these parts were correct, these were DC parts, the numbers were correct for a 50 Ford. I used a combination of old seals which were in good shape and some of the "new" parts; my mistake as I should have used all of the old parts. I struggled the same as 53customline did with the install. The attached pics show the results, the new poor fitting parts failed after a short period. This begs the question as to who actually made these pieces, DC, Steele, or ???. As well if I purchase again will I get the same junk?

In order to be useful here, instead of just complaining, I was able to find a remedy which hopefully last a long time. I had kept the old seals (never throw anything away) and reused them. The process was to soak them in lacquer thinner for the time it took them to swell up and become really pliable, about a hour or so. Then make a straight cut with a sharp knife and then wrap them around the parts; then using glue (there are special glues for rubber parts but I just used crazy glue) glue the ends together. It is tedious as you must keep the ends where the glue is applied absolutely grease free; and do not ask why you wear gloves using crazy glue. After about a day the seals shrink back to their normal size and good to go. Be careful when greasing these parts as I am guessing there may be a pressure issue.

Is this a proper repair, probably not, can someone guarantee me that they can supply correct parts and that they will last, I am waiting for that someone. Do I tear my whole front end apart and install these parts, scary? Now off to replacing my trans to frame mount and rear spring hangers as they were also cracked, if I can find NOS. I hope the manufacturers read some these complaints about parts fitting and durability problems. This stuff takes the fun out of the hobby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a arm seal.jpg (53.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg idler arm seal.jpg (61.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221004_150758322.jpg (96.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221004_151022223.jpg (34.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221004_151050760.jpg (97.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221004_151157628_1.jpg (92.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Don T; 10-05-2022 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote