View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Removing rust from engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by masipopa View Post
30 Closed Cab PU - I don't see any signs of water on the engine so don't know what caused this rust. Maybe the previous owner replaced water pump.

(a) what signs or symptoms of the weeping or blown head gasket
(b) how to determine if I get coolant in the cylinders

Ways to detect water in the cylinders (would most likely be from blown head gasket): water in the oil, extended white exhaust (moisture).

Other signs of seepage due to blown head gasket - white puffy powder at the seam where the Head mates to the Block. Damaged paint/possible rust and possible drippage paint strains/marring from where the the head mates the block, Uneven/poor idle.

To diagnose - Compression Test, Leak down Test, and exhaust gas test. The exhaust gas test tests the air in the radiator top tank for exhaust gas, https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-.../dp/B06VVBSFTF.

Not a definitive test - take the fan belt off, warm the motor up, take the radiator cap off and see if there are major bubbles in the coolant, check again by having another person, with the emergency brake on/ wheels chucked/ brakes depressed, put it in 3rd gear and slip the clutch to provide motor load and check radiator for bubbles. If you see bubbles possible blown gasket, no bubbles you can still have a blown gasket.

Attached is a picture of my A motor when I 1st started getting it running. Note the white where the motor/head mate and paint marring/damage in same area. This motor had a head gasket blown in 3 places. I also had compression between 35 and 50 lbs. Worst case compression readings on between cylinders should be with in 3- 5 lbs of each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13, 2011 motor.jpg (64.8 KB, 48 views)
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote