View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
connecticut mike

Default Re: Headlight bar differences

I ran into the same issue. When I bought my '30 coupe it had what I was later told was an early '30's bar - inverted U-shaped center section. It had been repaired by brazing in at least two places and was held together with a hose clamp when I got the car. I later bought what I was told was a '30/31 bar with the round center section at a meet and had it painted along with the other pieces of my taken-apart car.

The "meet" bar didn't fit well. Like you experienced, there was strain on the fender braces from trying to make it fit. I purchased another 1930 bar and compared it to the "meet" bar. The "meet" bar is 5/8 inch shorter than the other, has a slightly different contour and bend, and the end flanges are at a different angle than the most recently purchased bar. Another difference is the size of the headlight mounting holes - 5/8 inch vs. 1/2 inch. I hope this information helps you.

Can any Barners confirm that my "meet" bar (the shorter one with 5/8 inch headlight holes) is a 1928/29?

Mike
connecticut mike is offline   Reply With Quote