View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
19Fordy

Default Re: Converting Instrument Voltage

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger W Gerow View Post
Can anyone recomment a reliable company to convert my 1940 Ford instruments from 6 volt to 12 volt. Have researched the voltage reducers, now looking into the coversion side. Thanks
(How I did mine using stock wiring harness.) I am not an electrical whiz kid so use at your own discretion.) It worked for me. The stock BAT guage on my car is a voltmeter. Thanks to "Flat Ernie" for all his help. Sorry, but if I rotate the Instruction Sheet the type gets smaller. So tilt your head 90 degrees. I hope this helps. It's a lot cheaper than sending your gauges out for conversion. The 60 ohm fuse cost 40 cents.
How To Make Stock 1940 FORD DeLuxe Guages Work When Converting From 6V to 12 V.
1.DISCONNECT BATTERY CABLES FIRST.
2.Install a Constant Voltage Reducer (CVR) and fuse block on your inner firewall.
A. Remove brass strap between oil and battery gauge.
B. Also disconnect green/black wire that supplies power to gauges at BAT Gauge.
C.Cap or tape off wire terminal on end of green/black wire in B.
3. Connect a wire with a 60 ohm resistor to BAT terminal that had the brass strip on it to the 3 amp fuse on fuse block . This wire supplies power only to the BAT gauge and no other gauge. That is why you remove the stock brass strip. Do not reconnect the green/black power wire.
4.Connect a jumper wire between terminals on back of oil and fuel gauge as shown on sketch.
5.Disconnect green/black wire power wire from terminal on Temp gauge. Cap or tape it off as you won’t be using it.
6.Connect 6V. yellow wire from CVR to the terminal where the strap is on the Temp. gauge. That wire feeds only the Temp., Fuel and Oil gauges.
7.Connect red 12V wire fromCVR to 5 amp fuse on fuseblock. This wire supplies 12V to the CVR.
8.Connect wire with a 60 ohm resistor from the BAT terminal on the back of the gauge to the 3 amp fuse on the fuse block. This reduces the 12 V back down to 6 V.
9.Connect an 8 or 10 gage wire between the “coil” terminal on the back of the ignition switch and the input power supply terminal on the fuse block.
10. The 12V wire for the electric fuel pump that was attached to the “Coil” terminal on the back of the ignition switch is now connectd to the appropriate fuse at the fuse block.
Photo shows needle to be in the green after the implimentation of this plan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3663small.jpg (46.6 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06662 (Small)small.jpg (13.7 KB, 1217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7676SMALL.jpg (45.6 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06661 (Small).JPG (53.1 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06805small.jpg (101.2 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote