View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: 6 Volts versus 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
The capability of instant repair. Every parts house in the country has an AC Delco alternator for about $50 bucks. I have had such an experience. However, I also believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Another point, that fast spinning starter will eventually smoke itself. Another personal experience.
That's an interesting thought. However a good Model A generator will outlast us all so I for one don't need a "quick fix" on the road. Now it's true that some folks over the years have fried a generator (and drained the battery) from a stuck (junk) cutout because they don't notice the ammeter pegging. I saw that when I was a kid but I just whacked the cutout to pop it loose. An easy solution is to use a voltage regulator. I actually got one from Tom Wesenberg 6-7 years ago that replaces the third brush but never got around to installing it. I restored original cutouts and they are pretty much bullet proof but there are other benefits to his regulator so I WILL use it when I get to it.

BTW, do you have any idea how many DAYTIME running hours you can get on a Model A without a generator? When I was a kid I probably did a good six hours on the road.