View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
35fordtn

Default Re: Pressure plate finger adj

Well My experiences are real.. And I ran into this twice in the last year. One instance was just two weeks ago. I had a 36 Ford in the shop with a Fort Wayne Clutch that was WAY off. They tack welded the adjusters so I replaced with a new plate and rechecked. The measurement on the 09A 9" plate if I remember right is 1-7/8" to the flywheel face installed which can be a bear to measure.. Usually these are not out of adjustment too bad. Don't hold me to this measurement, but we have been using 11/16" from the top of the housing to the top of the fingers on the 35-48 plates

Now the 28-34 pressure plates, I learned last year it is ESSENTIAL TO CHECK IT on these plates!!
I had a 32 Ford coupe in the shop and no amount of clutch pedal adjustment would give a good pedal. Removed the engine, and the original Ford plate was way off on adjustment. Installed a NEW one and it too was all over the map. For these plates which have 8 fingers, I made a tool which is a flat piece of metal and a 5/8" square piece welded to it. I adjust each finger with the clutch installed to where the finger just touches the tool. This sets the finger 5/8" from the top of the plate housing when installed.

Last edited by 35fordtn; 07-08-2020 at 05:11 PM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote