View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #801
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Who discovered Australia?

Well that depends on who you ask doesn’t it. Ask an aboriginal and they will point out to you that their race did since they were here centuries before Christ. The Indonesians have been visiting the north western sector for centuries. The Portuguese colonised Timor in 1550, then sighted Australia shortly afterwards, or so the internet tells me. Then in 1606 a Dutchman by the name of Janszoon shortly followed by another Dutchman by the name of Tasman. Captain Cook mapped the east coast and proclaimed it as British. They, the British arrived in many ships in what is known as the first fleet. We became a dumping ground for English crims of which both my ggg grandfather and gg grandmother were just two.
Cook’s expeditions took him to Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Antarctica, Canada and Alaska. Following these marvelous fetes his last point of call was again Hawaii. He needed to remast his vessel but stayed too long. His crew were apparently making eyes at the local girls and that irritated the local blokes. They ate him and in return and in acknowledgement of their history flew the union jack on the top left of their state flag.
The Australian flag too has the union jack in just the same corner. For many years many Australians have been agitating to become a republic and independent at Britain. We had a referendum some years back and it was decided to stay as is. I think it would be better to be independent but voted to remain, why? Each time a change is made the government seem to acquire more power and authority. They have more than enough now. Many would like the flag changed as well, mainly the removal of the union jack and that is why I have mentioned the Hawaiin flag. Many Australians are trying to become Americans as fast as possible. There is considerable American investment here and it is welcome. Many American flags waved in the form of McDonalds and Starbucks and more, TV programs where kids start preschool on a knowledge diet of Sesame Street then progress onto Seinfeld and Miami Vice etc.
I like America and Americans and do wish to maintain a good friendship with them but I also with to remain Australian and retain our own culture.

Quote. Who said this? Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote