View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #694
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Okay Deluxe, thankyou for your question. Now here’s the answer.

Last year I took both my tourer and ute to our National Meeting at Murray Bridge, a 400 mile trip. That event was the happiest holiday I’ve had in my life time. We overnighted at Toolebuc, (pronounced too-lee-buck) now that’s a strange name isn’t it. An engine inspection revealed a busted fanbelt and I wasn’t carrying a spare, but along came 5 other A’s including expat American Dave. He had one and was pleased to provide. I did acknowledge and thank Dave in this forum some time back and now of course I carry a spare. Apart from a puncher in the tyre years ago I have not had any break downs.
But I have long been plagued with over heating and boiling. I replaced the original fan with a 5 blader off a Toyota Corolla and since bought plastic ones from Snyders that appear to be an exact copy. Then I had the radiators rodded out. That didn’t rectify the problem either. Then I did what I should have done in the first place, purchase a new radiator for two of the motor cars.
For the ute I purchased a sealed water pump and apressurised radiator (4psi). That failed at the solder below the top tank. At this moment it is being repaired. I had run it on vinegar to clean the block of rust. Was it this or simply poor manufacture? I don’t know and maybe the repairer will advise.
I lost my basic knowledge and enthusiasm for mechanical work years ago because with aeroplanes and later a business there was always aprofessional to do this work for me. I now rely on others to help or provide. I do envy owners who are good at mechanical work and have their motor cars running to peak at all times.
The first production motor car made in Australia was a General Motors Holden and that was in 1948. I think it is possibly the most sort after motor car here and I have a pearler with only 24k miles. However I just don't warm to it or any others build since the 40’s with the exception perhaps of a very few British builds, but they are mechanically too intricate and that’s just too big a deterrent for me.
So I love my Model A’s, even just love looking at them. I have them all named, one of course is Woofa Express and that’s the ute, the tourer is Olive because the paint colour is “Desert sands” which is close to olive colour and Old Chocolate, a 1930 roadster coupe because of its colour.
I once gave a talk at our local club (antique cars not specifically Model A’s). I said whilst I was a married man I was in love with another lady, a much older woman, Henry’s lady. The girls were dark on me for a moment but forgave when I said Henry’s lady was my Model A.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote