Thread: Leaking coil
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Leaking coil

Original coils were tar filled. Oil filled coils that were used on later model cars were mounted with the tower and wire connections pointing upward. When oil filled coils are mounted with the wire connections pointed downward as the original model A coils were mounted, they will often leak oil out the tower, overheat and begin to fail. I've pointed out this fact here many ,many times. The oil in the oil filled coils is for the purpose of cooling the inner windings. Most replacement coils are oil filled and are also weaker than the original model A coil. I don't mind saying as I have said many, many times before that I use the epoxy filled Pertronix flamethrower coil. This is a performance coil that scares hell out of many. It does however make a noticable improvement in performance, instant starts and clean running spark plugs. Coils are rated in ohm . Six volt applications use a 1.5 ohm coil. Twelve volt applications use a 3.0 ohm version. Neither of these coils need an external resister. Its the coil that fires the spark plugs. Weak replacement coils usually give weak performance and sooty spark plugs and most will tell you that you are running too rich. Weak ignition usually gets blamed on the carburetor. The original slant pole coils were around 20.000 volt. the Flame thrower coils are rated at 40.000 volts and make a difference that can be felt in the seat of the pants.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote