View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Joe K

Default Re: 1930 field coil wiring

The wire that comes through the side of the generator attaches to the inlet of the cutout. You can see in Tom's pix above the black plastic bushing and (usually) a copper bolt and nut used to make the pass-through. It all attaches to the cutout on the outside. Cutout usually marked 'gen' on the side from the generator and 'bat' on the side connecting ultimately to the battery - but not always.

Most commonly the cutout has two feet that slide "one way" while being attached and a forked electrical connection in the middle on that side such that all three bolted connections are made at the same time and similarly. But the centermost one on the side of the cutout attaches to the copper bolt/nut electrical path mentioned. You'll note this centermost cutout connection has a little insulator too and thereby you can tell this is the electrical path.

I think "senior" is awarded on the basis of the number of posts - and not necessarily one's age. As I have seen SEVERAL age 39 birthdays - but not as many as you.

And not dense. The only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked.

Surf around the site. Search on "cutout" and you should find lots of pix showing the general vicinity around this device. For me pix are EVERYTHING (I'm a "visual" person.)

Hope this helps,
Joe K