Thread: Best oil for V8
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #17
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Best oil for V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post

Non-detergent oil was/is made for engines without an oil filter so the dirt will settle to the bottom of the oil pan and not continue to circulate in the oil. It is almost impossible to find anymore, except in the garden section because small engines like lawn mowers still recommend using a non-detergent oil. Detergent oil keeps the dirt suspended in the oil so the filter can remove it. Since a lot of flatheads never had oil filters non-detergent oils was what they used. If you don't have an oil filter, just use the modern oil and change in when it starts to get a little dirty rather than waiting until it's really dirty.
I saw a test done on 'Non Detergent' oil. They sent it off for a test and found that it had basically NO ADDITIVE PACKAGE. It was just straight base oil without any anti-wear additives. It's the absolutely worst oil to put in any engine... anywhere. NEVER use this stuff in anything.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote