View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
Thearne3

Default New design turn signals for Model A?

Hi all,

I've always had turn signals on my Model A's and always annoyed about two things:

1. Most on-column turn signal devices are clunky and ugly. They stand out as 'not from this car'.
2. During the day, when the flasher is not so bright, I often forget to turn off the signal - hence creating a potential hazard: am I turning or not?

I have designed a solution to both these issues and wanted to gauge interest in this community and get your input. The basic concept is to use a 'momentary' SPDT switch - either on the column or where ever the user prefers, plus a magnetic reed switch near the back of the steering wheel. Small magnets are mounted behind the wheel. The 'logic' or brains of the system is a simple programmable board. It will 'know' when you've completed the turn and stop the signal when the reed switches are activated. A failsafe timer would stop the signal after a specified time, say, 20 seconds.

I used CAD software to create a simple, small turn signal for mounting on the steering column with an extension to hold the reed sensor behind the steering wheel. I printed the device using a 3D printer. I'm working on the software now.

Pictures:

The first picture is the prototype. It bolts together with two screws.
The second shows the prototype mounted on the column (the near side screw has not been installed to tighten the clamp)
The third picture shows how unobtrusive the device is. All you see is the switch. I plan to reach through the wheel to tap the switch. You don't have to hold the switch - it just initiates the signal. Note the existing old style switch in the background)

Here are some features:

System is easily compatible with both 6 and 12 volt systems, Pos or Neg ground.

The 'brains' of the system (a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes) will likely be behind the driver's kick panel, but location is flexible.

The wiring from the column to the brains will be a flat ribbon cable on the bottom of the column - again, barely noticeable.

The system can accommodate either dedicated LEDs or integrated with existing parking/running lights - perhaps even including a parking light override (parking light 'on' tells the brain that all turning lights dedicated to parking), which eliminates the need for dual element lights for turning vs running/parking.

Questions for the community:

Is something like this of interest? Would it make turn signal attractive to those who so far have not installed them? Should this be DIY or a kit?
How important is visual/auditory feedback? Indicator lights could be on the switch or mounted elsewhere. So far I haven't designed them into the switch. A buzzer could be connected easily (again, sort of an annoyance, if it can be avoided!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (14.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2411.jpg (28.5 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2412.jpg (40.0 KB, 420 views)
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote