View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: New Engine from Todd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
Brent,

Thanks for not 'dissing" on the New Model A Engine.

I would also like to discuss with you the importance of external appearance, 17 pressurized bearings, 8 counterweights, and the cost difference between the New Engine's fully machined cylinder block and having to do additional work on an A-6015 partially machined cylinder block.
Terry, I have no reason to, -nor desire to 'dis' or talk negatively about your engine.

I think where we have a misunderstanding is that you feel that because my typical engine customer does not want to purchase your engine assembly, then you apparently feel I don't like your engine. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The only area that I feel we have a strong difference of opinion on is the machine work. In my past, I used a Model-A engine rebuilder that seemingly had as many failures with his engines as he had good ones. Not only did this negatively affect my business' credibility, -it was expensive for us to make good on his failures. The brutal reality was that our customers did not care that someone else (outside of my company) manufactured the component, -or did the work, ...as they expected ME to stand behind the workmanship that ultimately came thru my shop. Because of this alone, we no longer trust anyone else's workmanship on projects that our name is attached to. That is why we prefer to do the machine work on certain areas so the craftsmanship meets our standards. Nothing I am saying implies that your engines or components have Q/C issues. All I am saying is that for my customer's project, we choose to either verify or perform the machine work ourselves so the onus is on us if there is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I see the advantages of the modern design but I also see the need by some to go with a new stock type block. I feel that there is room for both and I hope both will do well in a limited market.

Some folks want to drive their cars a lot with smoothness and possibly more reliability and others just want a new block to replace a cracked or worn out original that may take a while to find a good core to replace..
That in a nutshell summarizes my typical customer's mindset. They realize that the stock Model-A engine assembly offered their owners reliability and longevity for many years with non-counterweighted crankshafts, and/or non-pressurized oiling systems. All that many of my customers are asking for is just a replacement engine block that is very similar in specification to how Ford manufactured the A-6015 block during the Model-A production era. Yes, I agree there is a market for both type of engines in this hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote