View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
[email protected]

Default Re: The Michigan Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Au contrare mon cher! I was on my 3rd wife already! ws
Ok, I'm in a teasing mood today. I didn't mean to cause any bad feelings. I really do get excited when I'm able to see the past surviving the travesties of man. When we destroy the past we're also destroying our future. I went on a tour today with a 1910 Maxwell, 1910 Buick, 1925 Model T and a 1950 Buick with a straight 8 overhead valve engine and a straight stick transmission. And I had my 1926 Model T. When we went into our destination we had several people walking around us and asking us questions. I think i was the youngest person there at 62 years old. I was talking to a couple guys about the fact that you see very few young people interested in our old cars. It's going to be just a few years and there will be a surplus of these vehicles because nobody will be interested. What caused this phenomenom? It was new technology. When we were young we had the opportunity to work on our vehicles. We tore them apart and fixed them ourselves. Our favorite things to play with were wrenches and hammers and screw drivers and a number of different tools. Heck I received tools for birthdays and Christmas. But the vehicles we've had since our children got to the age where we were when we became interested in mechanical stuff have been disposable and they end up going to a shop to be fixed. Our young people have never been exposed to our opportunities and our hobby is disappearing. It's a sad fact that our new high speed society is costing us our past and people are losing their ability to do for themselves. And the skills necessary to take care of yourself in the future will continue to create higher and higher costs to maintain our future. Those of us who chose to forget the trials of the past are destined to repeat them. It's a damn sad shame.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote