View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #18
Pete

Default Re: Downshifting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
Other than operator error (which is a real possibility) what are the mechanical issues that would cause gear grinding while downshifting? Just got my 31 CCPU running. Whenever I come to a hill or turn that requires me to downshift I have to come to a complete stop and start off in first gear to prevent grinding of the gears. I’ve tried double clutching and accelerating while in neutral before trying to downshift to a lower gear but it just does not seem to work.
The first thing you need to determine is if your clutch is releasing all the way.
A quick easy way to check is, sitting still with the handbrake set and the engine idling, transmission in neutral, clutch out, push the clutch in and after 2 seconds try to pull the shifft lever into 1st gear. There should be no grinding.
After that assuming you can't get the the 2 associated gears to match speed for a downshift, try buying a 10 minute instruction session at a road racing school. It is not very expensive if they are not busy. They will have you downshifting like a pro when you leave.

A very important thing †o remember, the model A transmission is not very strong so downshifting should only be done at speeds WELL BELOW where you would upshift that gear change.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote