View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
DougVieyra

Default Re: Gas tank sealer removal

I had the same problem with my '28 Phaeton, which had the 'Sealer' installed during restoration in 1979.

After reading about 'solutions' for a year, covering a great number of website, magizine and book articles, and talking to experienced 'shade tree' and 'back-yard' mechanics, I did four things:

1. Drained gas out of tank and filled gas tank with 10 gallons of ChemTool B-12 carburetor cleaner. I let it 'set' for about a week. * This stuff is expensive, so buy the 5 gallon pails to save considerable money.

2. Drained out B-12 Carb. cleaner (saving it, to use again), and let tank set empty for another week. I then squeezed a toilent bowl brush down into the tank and scoured the bottom as much as I could. Remember that there are two baffles in the tank, which will restrict your scouring to only the center-most portion of the tank bottom. I then vacuumed out the bank bottom as best as I could.

I then ran another 'bath' of the (now strained and 'cleaned') B-12 Carb. Cleaner into the tank, to sit another week. Then drained it out of the tank (again, saving the Carb. Cleaner to use (filtered) again. I then poured about two gallons of gas into that tank, sloshing it around (one person on each running board - thrusting up & down) for about 10 minutes, and drained it out of the tank.

3. I then installed the famous 'Dog Leg" plumbing valve, etc. (found on another Forum thread) into the tank. I ran the car for about six months with the 'Dog Leg', draining out fine rust from the 'clean out' of the 'Dog Leg'.

4. After six months, I removed the 'Dog Leg' and installed the original factory shut-off valve, with the recommended 'Pencil' filter screen up in the gas tank.

I have been driving the car for about six months now, and so far have had no gas issues.

*There has to be a caveat - some will say your car may blow up if you vacuum your gas tank. Others will say other things. But, as you asked - I thought I would tell you my experience with cleaning out the goo and gum that filled my gas tank after the 'sealer' failed.

- Doug Vieyra

Last edited by DougVieyra; 12-15-2014 at 07:31 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote