View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #35
nkaminar

Default Re: Dynamic dampening front pulley

Installing the dynamic dampener was fairly straight forward. I had to jack up the front of the engine after removing the radiator using a floor jack and a block of wood. I removed the two main bolts from the rear Float-A-Motor mounts and removed the two bolts supporting the front of the engine on the stock front engine mount. I used a puller to pull off the old front pulley after removing the crank nut. I used the correct socket wrench with a breaker bar and put the car in high gear with the overdrive in high. I put the parking brake on and blocked the rear tires.

The dynamic dampener is larger than the old front pulley, see the first picture. This will increase the rpm of the generator or alternator and water pump/fan. I put the fan belt on before lowering the engine. I have not tried to replace the fan belt but it looks like it will be impossible without jacking up the front of the engine.

It is important not to hammer on the dynamic dampener as this will damage the thrust bearing for the crankshaft. I used a series of bolts that fit the thread of the crankshaft (5/8-18), each 1 inch shorter than the last, to push the dynamic dampener onto the crankshaft, see second photo. I carefully lined up the notch in the dynamic dampener with the key on the shaft nose and used a roller bearing underneath the bolts to keep the dampener from turning on the crankshaft and getting out of alignment. I used one then two roller bearings before switching to the shorter bolt.

The dampener went on fairly easily. It is important to have a press fit for the dampener and to tighten the crank nut securely. After getting the dampener on I lowered the engine and put the bolts in for the mounts. The bolts for the Float-A-Motor are just snugged up, not very tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulleys.jpg (47.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Bolts.jpg (40.4 KB, 41 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 01-24-2021 at 10:56 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote