View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Baypac

Default Modern Valve Spring Retainers 30 CCPU

My valve spring compressor arrived from Brattons yesterday and this am went out to remove the rusted spring. It was easy enough to compress the spring, but to my surprise, the retainer is a modern 2 piece. I should have felt the retainer earlier.

Further more, I suspect it is rusted to the valve stem. I looked at some YouTube videos on modern valve spring retainers, and they don't seem to apply to a model A where there is no access to tap the keeper to hold the two pieces in place.

The one thing I have found is that the engine was rebuilt very well at one time. The valve seats are all hardened and the cylinders were sleeved and bored to 3.9 inches, head was decked and is flat. The assembly of the external parts was as not of the same quality as the engine block. Gaskets sloppy with lots of silicone on all gaskets including the exhaust. Maybe the owner bought a short block and put his old parts on the rebuild and did not torque the head properly.

I looked very carefully and could not find any cracks in the block. I didn't bother checking the head because I am using the original head from my sport coupe left when I changed to a high compression Brumfield head. I had had that decked when I rebuilt that engine.

How do I get the rusted retainers removed?

Thanks,
Baypac is offline   Reply With Quote