View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #48
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Rebuilding An 8Ba - Tips & Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Blow View Post
Thank you for the reply. The hardened seats have already been installed in the exhaust. And, yes, I will be running the stock EAB heads. As far as the pistons go, I need to purchase those now. Since I will be running a 4" Merc crank, I cannot use the stock pistons and will probably buy new rods as well. Do you have a recommendation on pistons? I have read other posts about 3 ring vs. 4 ring and whether or not to run a 4 ring piston and just leave the 4th ring off. I'm not looking to break the bank with this build, but would like to build a reliable engine to be used in a driver. Any input on pistons?
With modern three piece oil rings, that fourth ring is superfluous. Not needed! Just more drag. Some will claim that it helps "stabilize" the piston in the cylinder, but in reality it can't! Rings float free in their grooves so cannot impart any stability to the piston. Also, since rings must move freely in their grooves, they also rotate, so from time to time all the gaps will be lined up. Contrary to legend, the engine will still start and run!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote