Thread: Clutch Slip
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Clutch Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Ross, V8 Coopman, Is this directed at me?
I read BobbyG's first post, and the one where he indicated it was fixed. I made the mistake of assuming he had no freeboard left. (the normal fault) I'd missed the 3" travel bit. (I read it all before but not recalled all the detail. Maybe that bolt in the bottom clevis was binding enough, that with the weight of the pedal (and no return spring ) it was enough to let the clutch slip?
I don't know, but something has changed. I was just trying to give BobbyG some understanding of how it worked.
BTW BobbyG, that shouldn't be a bolt in that clevis. It should have a clevis pin.
Bluebell...NOT directed toward you in any fashion. You obviously have a good grip on the physics of how a mechanical clutch and it's attendant operating linkages are designed to work. I'm only TRYING to imply that IF the pedal is 3" from the toeboard, and that ALL the linkages are still in place, that the clutch is already in a state of diminishing clamping force. I've lost more than one pressure plate in the past 45+ years, and more than one of those happened without prior warning, as I've (maybe mistakenly) ASSUMED that this one has. One big indicator is that all of a sudden, it'll slip in high gear, and the pedal "free play" has SUDDENLY become excessive (3" in this case). DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote