View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
thebanjoman

Default Re: media blasting - special considerations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Higher pressures and you run the risk of ruining the sheet metal. Took me 15 -20 hours to sand blast mine, a coupe. I recycled the sand. Would have preferred to have it media blasted, but never had the coin. If the panels get hardened you've ruined them. Bob
I wasn't impressed with the media I was using and I was probably using too high a pressure. I was using the 'Black Diamond" grit I got from Tractor Supply. The wrong stuff to use for this I'm finding out.

The blaster I was using was a birthday gift. It's probably barely adequate but I won't tell my darling wife to got it for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...3298108&sr=8-2

I tried it out on the cowl panels that I need to replace to get my feet wet with the process to see how long it would take and the results I would get.

I'd probably have better results with a different media and the right pressures.

I'll have to keep reading and understanding the process and if I get better results with my testing I will probably end up doing it here in the shop if I can get the right technique and results.

I'd want to make a 'bay' inside the shop as well to help hold some of the media and cover up everything else. It will go everywhere but I'll try to contain some of it.

I may regret doing this myself but I'lll give it a shot.
thebanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote