View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Drag Link Spring Compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
I've used the C-clamp method too.
It worked, but I felt dirty. lol

I got to thinking: Do the old springs really shorten or soften so much over time that they become useless and need to be replaced? Or, have the springs been cycled so often that they are fatigued and about to break?

Most folks tend to replace the springs like their working on some ignition condensers...they get replaced because we just 'happen to be in there'.

Further, I would put forth that the Quality of older springs is probably better than most of the newer springs.

All bets are off if the springs are broken or damaged. There will always be exceptions to rules, and there is no one fix for every problem.

I don't think my post is too OT from the OP's question. If the older spring works well, and its still good, then that would solve his problem.

Maybe someone can shed some light of why the springs are frequently replaced?
I can't speak to the frequency part, but I just happened to have NOS springs and cups as well as the replacement springs. When the new springs were giving me fits, I did a little research.

If you Google the problem, a bunch of past threads popped up. After reading this, I went and measured everything. Sure enough all the new parts were indeed longer (springs) and/or thicker (cups).

Interesting, my used springs were just slightly shorter than the NOS springs, so they are either incredibly strong springs or they had light wear. You'll know if you're springs are no good as soon as you start loading up the slotted end cap.

Fred @ Southside Obsolete can supply you with new, NOS springs and cups for (I believe) they are the same for '28-'34
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote