View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Ring/Pinion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML28 View Post
Are rings and pinions always matched and lapped as sets? What happens if you match a NOS ring from one set to a NOS pinion from another?
This has long been a topic of controversy here. No where on the A-4610-* Pinion Gear print nor the A-4210-* Driving Pinion print do I find where it states the gears were machined as a set. Where the argument comes in is when you read the Ford Parts Price List books when it lists the A-4209-AR/B/C as "matched". The reason I feel they were listed as 'matched' is because the 3.78 ratio (9-34) and the 4.11 ratio (9-37) shared the same teeth count on the pinions however they were a different pitch of teeth and were not interchangeable. Now when you look at the early parts books when the 3.70 ratio was the only R&P available, it lists them as A-4210 and A-4610 available separately -or as a A-4609 set. Since there is not any mention on the original prints of the two being lapped or mated, it is my opinion this was not an operation that was performed until after the Model-A era. As for your NOS gears, the key is to make sure you have the correct 9 tooth Pinion that mates to your Ring Gear.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)