View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Spark Plug Condition

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I recently started having a little bit of a lope in the engine at slow idle. I’ve put 2000 miles on the car since I bought it last August. I don’t know how many miles were on the plugs prior to that. Cleaning and re-gapping the plugs to .035 seemed to fix the issue.

The plugs had some carbon on them, but the insulator and electrode seemed fairly clean. All four plugs were the same.

I’m still pretty new to Model As. Is this what you would expect with plugs in a Model A?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To check plugs on an A - run the car for a while at med to cruising speeds/rpms. While at higher speeds turn off the ignition, gas lever up immediately, cost to somewhere to park, and check the plugs.

A lot of the black, slightly sooty condition is caused by the idle jets, and possible the jets running rich at around town. Lower RPM (below about 700 rpm also runs off the GAV, and that can tend to be rich. This is normal.

Usually I pull & clean up the plugs with Carb Cleaner and a lint free cloth, reinstall them and go for a ride of an hour or more in teh country.

Since this is very old tech, they do not run clean like a modern car with electronic ignition and fuel injection.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote