View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Repair of Soft Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljpjohnson View Post
My husband and I have a 1929 Briggs Leatherback Fordor. We are getting a new top installed soon. The car is in good shape but the left back corner has a few spots of soft wood. I have seen a post that mentioned something you could put on it to firm it up. Can someone tell me if they have done this and if so is it going to work to hold the staples for the new top? Also there is a corner spot that is missing a piece of the wood about the size of a 1” triangle. Wondering if I could use wood filler on that? Thanks for your expertise. You’ll are the best.
I will tell you straight-up that you are approaching a path that you will likely regret. Early on in my professional career I used Kwik-Poly on two separate Fordors trying to save my customer money. Within a year of them driving their cars, the wood was breaking and coming apart due to it being brittle, -and the upholstery brads were not holding the panels any longer as the wood no longer had any elasticity because of the poly. Your top staples will be the same. I think in certain applications such as a house, or maybe a car that will only be a static display and never subjected to twists and vibration, it probably is a suitable for that. In your situation, I would suggest that you just replace the wood correctly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)