View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Going Crazy Smelling Gas Fumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
HI Frank. I have been wrestling with this suggestion. Removing the gas gauge will leave a large hole in the dash straight through into the petrol. Is this what you mean? Or maybe your car is different from a 29 and has a remote tank and gauge?
SAJ in NZ
Just realised you might be joking. Apologies if you were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
My car a 1933 ford has NO working fuel gauge.
It is supposed to a hydro-static fuel sending unit. Which supposedly didn't work right even back in 1933.

Not sure how the gas gauge is hooked up.
You would have to either add a cap or a section of tube to take the fuel gauge off line. Or if that is not possible I would try replacing the fuel gauge. Because you begin taking everything apart on your fuel line.
Did you smell this petrol smell before you put the fuel gauge in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
My 32 fordor also has a hydrostatic system and it works great after I originally set it up. Most people don't have a clue how they work.

Like most things, they have to be installed correctly, and with neither air leaks nor air blockages. Then they are bulletproof. I have complete information about it on my web site.

That's all well and good but this thread is about a 28-31 Fuel gauge which is different than your '33. Your fuel tank isn't even in the cowl is it? To prevent confusion, let's stick with the OP's question please.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-10-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote