View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Crankster

Default Re: Hagerty and Pelling Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I suspect they probably charge more if you plan to drive them more. I doubt if I will ever go over the mileage that I estimated and I will keep driving like I always have.

TerryO
It usually helps to look at things like this from their perspective, especially when it comes to money. Collector car or Antique auto insurance is a specialized, niche product for a small demographic. Rates are low for a few reasons. One is that the average age of an antique or collector car is over 40, I'm quite certain. We're not talking about 18 year old punks with a red miata sportscar. As a "risk pool" the folks needing this product are a good bet. Better, anyway. Another reason premiums are reasonable is because of the restrictions they place on the policy - no parking on the street for obvious reason, no driving to work every day, cannot be the sole vehicle. None of this is unreasonable for the price they charge;

It just makes sense. Antique policies are setup for well ... antiques, and are priced competitively. If you want to use your Maxwell as a daily driver on the I5, the Insurance company will undoubtedly recommend a different type of policy.

For similar reasons, for example, your homeowners policy won't cover large amounts of expensive jewelry or cash kept at home. It's under the "what are you &$uking daft!?" clause.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote