View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
gtoger

Default Weber carb conversion power loss & backfire

Looking for some advice from someone experienced with the Weber conversion.

I've recently acquired a 1930 Town Sedan. The previous owner was unfortunately sick for a while and the car sat for a couple years before coming home with me. He made some upgrades:
- 12V conversion

- Weber 2 barrel
- Performance intake
- Exhaust header
- Fuel pump to feed Weber
- Pertronix distributor conversion (w/ appropriate coil & wires)
- Mitchel overdrive
- shock suspension
- air conditioning (great for Texas!)

When I first got it, the performance was less than my 31 with standard induction. I could smell the bad gas. I've since run a couple tanks of fresh gas and Berrymans and replaced the fuel filter. I've disassembled the top half of the carb and cleaned out the orifices. Now the car makes much better power at low end and during acceleration.

One problem persists, however, which is if I'm cruising in 3rd at 45mph or better, the car will cruise along for a while then lose power and cough & backfire. If I let off the gas and coast for a couple seconds it will come back and be OK again. Until it isn't. Rinse, repeat.

Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the amount of time it takes to cough and sputter. I think it feels like fuel starvation.

I've adjusted the mixture and it runs great until it doesn't. I'll replace the fuel pump after lunch and try again.

Maybe someone else has experience with a similar setup. Any thoughts / words of wisdom?

1930 Ford Model A Town Sedan "Bart"
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote